Homegrown love

Homegrown love

Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Valentine Baby

     I woke up on Sunday February 12th, feeling very uncomfortable, but it really wasn't any different than how I had been feeling all week.  Every time the baby moved I would feel things literally crack and pop in my pelvis, I could not believe how low this baby could go!  I was done attempting to do things outside of the house because of the large sway and waddle I had adopted and the many pee breaks I was taking all over town.   I was 40 weeks and 3 days and although other woman on babycenter.com and google were worried that I was "overdue", I was aware that overdue wasn't in fact until AFTER 42 weeks.  Regardless of my attempt at remaining worry free after 40 weeks, I woke up Sunday pretty miserable and ready to bring this baby out no matter how much i felt disabled!
     As much as church encourages me in my times of trouble, I couldn't bring myself to go and face all the  "when are you due's" and "what will you do's...".    One man said "I could see your belly coming from a mile away!" and his wife said "how much weight have you gained?!?"  So church was out of the question, but one thing you can count on in Redding CA, is that on Sunday mornings from 8am-1pm, most places will be empty of people.
    So Jordan and I took the opportunity to go walking at the sundial and river trail.  Grandma and Grandpa gladly took the kids for us so that we could waddle alone and at a slower pace.  I had started losing my mucus plug and having bloody show at 3am that morning and I was losing it throughout the day.  We walked the sundial, walked the garden loop, walked by the river.   I was having good contractions about every 20 minutes but i decided not to time them as they were very short but strong.  I didn't want to waste energy hoping i was in labor or obsessing over the early hours.
     We had it in out heads to have pure beeswax candles burning for the birth, as they are natural air purifiers and smell great.  So after the walk, we went to four different stores looking for them and no one in Redding carried them.  We went to a little place and split a sandwich and fries instead.  The whole day with Jordan was just what i needed.  He was treating me extra special and even sweeter than usual and it was as if we knew it was our very last moments together before everything changed once again. We picked up the kids and started home.
   At about 3:30pm I wanted to know if my contractions were productive at all because my mom and family were just four hours away and awaiting the call to start driving when things started going.  I called Deva my midwife and said "hey, I'm driving by your house, want to check me?"  She said "sure, see you soon."
Jordan and the kids waited in the van while she checked me, she said my cervix was still far back and closed but that I was 100% effaced.  I was shocked that i had not dilated but determined not to be discouraged because all woman are different and all labors are different and I knew anything could happen.  My sister Sumer was on her way up, getting an early start.  I told her what the midwife said and Sumer seemed to think it was all good signs.
    At home Jordan and I took a bath and lit candles and incense and oils and well...one thing led to another...haha
At around 5:30pm I was walking to the couch, just about to flop down and give up for the day, then I was hit with a very strong contraction, so i turned around and went to my bed instead.  As I lay there getting contractions, I kept thinking "I should get up and tell Jordan to start timing these."  But each contraction was hard and close together and I couldn't bring myself to get up.  They were still short so i was thinking that they were false labor.  I talked to my sister on the phone around 6 and although i was trying to sound normal through the contractions, i assured her that she had time and that i thought i wan having false labor.  I went back to bed and then they started hitting me harder.  I was breathing through them and had my hands over my eyes.  I was so engulfed in these contractions that it was funny the moment it hit me, that i not only was in labor but i realized things were further along than i thought.  I felt like i was in a tunnel and my hands and body were shaking and i couldn't get them to stop and with each exhale out i was thinking my mantra "Jesus Jesus Jesus" (which means business!)...i thought "oh man, I'm in transition!"
I started crying, I got a little scared that the baby still had to come out my vagina and it was going to hurt and tonight was the night.  Jordan still didn't know i was having contractions, he was out making dinner with the kids. He walked in and said "why are you crying?!"  I told him to call Deva and have her come quick.  He also called my friend Brooke who was assisting the birth with Deva.  I think this was all around 7pm , Deva, Brooke and her other assistant Andrea, all showed up around 7:30pm ad i was in full blown moaning and crying mode.  It was funny to see my natural instincts kick in... as soon as they came into the room, i wordlessly walked into the pitch black bathroom and stood there.  Jordan came in behind me and closed the door.  I was holding onto the towel rod and the counter with contractions and he quietly had his hand on my back.  It was the perfect thing for me, just knowing he was there...supporting me with all he could.

   I started to feel pressure, as if the baby was trying to come out,  which i was in denial about, thinking "really?! already?"   I came out into the room and knelt by the bed and called for Deva when the next contraction brought on more pressure.  She checked me at 8pm and I was at 8 centimeters.  She said "your ready to have this baby!"   I started crying again and when I got a break from the contraction I said "see Deva, I told you I was a crier!"  Everyone let out a little laugh.
    Jordan was sitting on the bed next to me, he was holding my hand and Raanan was sitting in his lap.  At one point i felt her little hand over mine also and remember feeling a very sweet moment that I didn't want to forget.  Asher was right there squished up next to the midwife.  Every time i looked up between my legs, there was Asher, not missing a thing!  I did scream the "F" bomb at one time and Deva said "Now shes really ready!"    The birth was the most intense i had ever felt.  The baby felt like a freight train barreling down the tunnel and i was actually trying to hold it back from going so fast.  Deva kept telling me to relax my legs and i eventually caught on but in all reality my body was on auto pilot and the baby was coming with or without my help.  When babies head came out, i looked and saw all that black hair and i felt his cheeks and face and got a surge of extra energy that let me know i could get the baby out.
    His shoulder was a stuck a little and i had to give one good push.  Jordan was there with his hands positioned in a football hold, waiting and ready.  Well I guess i gave a lot of force behind that push, because the baby shot out between his hands and did a few skips across the bed.  I looked between my legs, scream stopped in me mid yell...there was this silence and everyone seemed to be thinking all at once..."um, didn't expect that".  Then the commotion started up and he was quickly swooped off the bed and onto my stomach.

   I looked and saw he was a boy and when i saw his face it was if i had known him forever but he was so new to me.  We announced his name, Nakoah West, meaning brave in Hawaiian.  7 lbs and 15oz, 19 inches long.  Born at 8:12 pm...2 hour and 45 minute birth.  My sister showed up 20 minutes after and so did Jordan's parents, just missing it.   It was amazing that i got to birth alone in my warm comfortable room, then my birth team showed up at just the right time.  Although i didn't have time for my bath, beeswax candles and mix CD, i couldn't have written a better birth plan if i tried.
   Deva made a special tea that was set to boil for healing the area afterwards, I swear it has done wonders for me.  My birth team was so caring, calm,unobtrusive and thorough.  When everyone was leaving , I said to Deva "thank you so much" she said "can you believe he was inside you?" then she kissed my cheeks and headed home.  Nakoa latched on right away and has been eating straight since that night.  He is perfect in every way and i didn't know so much was missing from our family until he came along.
I wish i would have used a good camera but really i just didn't have time! Excuse the blurry cell pics :)










No comments: